Fond this online but cannot remember where… when I find I’ll add ref. here
- Check which questions are interesting for you specifically
- Check which answers you can find yourself online
- Otherwise ask
Definitely don’t try to ask everything from the list.
Remember that things tend to be fluid, re-organizations happens often. Having a bug tracking system doesn’t make bug handling efficient and CI/CD doesn’t mean your time to deliver is necessarily short.
- What’s the on-call plan/schedule? (what’s the pay for standby and call-out)
- What are the tasks I would do on a usual day?
- What’s the junior/senior balance of the team? (and are there plans to change it)
- What does the onboarding look like?
- How much independent action vs working off a provided list is expected?
- What are the expected/core work hours?
- What are the usual stacks used at the company?
- How do you use source control?
- How do you test code?
- How do you track bugs?
- How do you integrate and deploy changes? Is it CI/CD?
- Is your infrastructure setup under version control / available as code?
- What’s the workflow from the planning to the finished task?
- How do you prepare for disaster recovery?
- Is there a standardised development environment? Is it enforced?
- How quickly can you setup a new local test environment for the product? (minutes / hours / days)
- How quickly can you respond to security issues in the code or dependencies?
- Are all developers allowed to have local admin access of their computers?
- How is the work organised?
- How does the intra/inter-team communication typically work?
- How are differences of opinions resolved?
- Who sets the priorities / schedule?
- What happens after pushback? (“this can’t be done in the projected time”)
- What kind of meetings happen every week?
- What’s the product/service schedule? (n-weekly releases / continuous deployment / multiple release streams / …)
- Is there a conference/travel budget and what are the rules to use it?
- What’s the promotion process? How are requirements / expectations communicated?
- Is there a separate tech and management career path?
- How much annual / personal / sick / parental / unpaid leave is available?
- What’s the status of / view on diverse hiring?
- Are there any company-wide resources for learning available, like ebooks subscriptions, or online courses?
- Is there a budget for getting certifications?
- What’s the maturity stage? (early finding direction / feature work / maintenance / …)
- Can I contribute to FOSS projects? Are there any approvals needed?
- Are you profitable?
- If not, how long is your runway?
- Where does the funding come from and who influences the high level plan/direction?
- How do you make money?
- What’s preventing you from making more money?
- What’s the ratio of remote to office workers?
- Does the company provide hardware and what’s the refresh schedule?
- Are extra accessories/furniture possible to buy through the company? Is there a budget for them?
- How often are office visits expected?
- Are the office meeting rooms always prepared for video conferences?
- What’s the office layout? (open plan / cubicles / offices)
- Is there a support / marketing / other call-heavy team close to my new team?
- Find more inspiration for questions in the Joel Test